In the first 26 1/2 years of my life I'd never felt an earthquake. In the past 10 months, including today, I've felt three.
Fourth period was just getting started, 21 seniors sat in my class, watching as I wrote (of all words) "climax" on the chalkboard. They were supposed to decide if the accent is on the first or second syllable. "Do you hear, 'CLImax' or 'cliMAX'?" I asked, then turned to face the students and saw the windows rattling and the students' panicked expressions. While everything shook, we were quiet, but as it settled down, everyone started talking. I heard the neighboring classrooms get louder and louder and a nervousness filled the school. Thankfully, there wasn't any more shaking, and after about 5 minutes, we all calmed down and continued the 'climax' discussion. I have to say though, for a few seconds after the quake, I had to remind myself, "I am the teacher, students will look to me for assurance that they're okay. Stay calm on the outside even if you're freaking out on the inside!" :) And I was freaking out a little ;) Ironically, on Wednesday we held a school-wide emergency safety drill (so I know what to do in an earthquake, I was just praying we'd never really have one.)
Tonight's excitement was going to the big city to see "Pirates of the Caribbean 3" Excellent, matey.
Saturday, June 02, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Argh! (in the happy sense) I find quakes so fun. Sure they're crazy and bad stuff happens, but there's a part of me that longs for the "End of Days" - 'cause life is pretty dull at times and a little shakin' helps stir-it-up.
Jasper you are a little on the wild side! Glad to hear that you are still upright, Sarah. Was the movie in English?
love,
Amanda
Post a Comment