Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Tokyo Disneyland

I thought we were crazy when I set the alarm for three o'clock in the morning.







When it rang, I stumbled out of the guest room at my friend's apartment, brushed my teeth, and walked two blocks to meet about 40 others boarding a coach bus headed to Disneyland.
And when we got back to the same spot nearly 23 hours later, I knew we were crazy. But even then, I admitted the lack of sleep, the insanely early morning, and the fact that I had to work in just a few hours, was worth it! I spent Christmas Eve day (and I mean ALL day) at Tokyo Disneyland!!!
I went with ALT Jack from the UK and our Japanese friend, Kazumi. Kazumi runs a cram school & she organized the trip for her junior high students. Her mom & grandmother came too so it was the 5 of us adults with about 40 junior high kids. But besides the bus ride, we didn't see the kids at all, they were assigned into groups & were free to roam for the day. We arrived at 7am, an hour before the gates even open, but like all things Japanese, it's expected to be early. People literally ran into the park, leaving Jack and me bewildered and wondering what awaited us. Mickey & friends greeted us along with beautiful Christmas decorations, a huge illuminated tree, and everything imaginable shaped like Mickey (ie garland).
I ate breakfast standing in line at the entrance gate.
We rode on all the major attractions (Big Thunder Mountain, Space & Splash Mountains, Pirates of the Caribbean, Small World)
Pretty sure Christmas Eve is the park's busiest day of the year (seriously) so we spent a lot of time standing in line...
Churros for mid-morning snack
3 parades: 1 with Lilo & Stitch, a fantastic Christmas one, and an after-dark one of illuminated floats!
Hamburgers for supper (cute and delicious!)Mickey-shaped glazed sweet potatoes (cute but not so delicious)
The night ended (at 10pm) with lighting up the castle & a fireworks show

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Sarah, that looks like so much fun! WEll, not the waking up at 3AM, but everything else! I love to see you wearing the scarf! You look great in it! ;) I love you. Emily

Anonymous said...

Tokyo and Disneyland, two places I'd love to go, put them together, wow! even better. Maybe someday? I'm glad you had a fun Christmas. We had a white Christmas for only the second time, Philip and I had a midnight snowball fight (bare footin'). Christ's blessings

The Studers said...

Merry Christmas, Sarah! Looks like you had a great day, but we wish you were here celebrating with us! We'll miss you tomorrow! Love you.

Audrey said...

awesome!! I'm so glad you had such a fun time! Wow, that Mickey-shaped hamburger is hilarious. :-P