Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Owarimashita

"Finished!"

Today I taught 4th period Homeroom 22 Writing and 5th period Homeroom 11 Oral Communication. And that completed my teaching for this term, and this school year! (The school year runs April to March here). I wasn't sure how I'd respond today as I bid farewell to my final couple classes--if I'd get sentimental and a bit sad, or something else--

The last few minutes of class I thanked the students for their hard work, assured them their English has indeed improved, wished them luck on their upcoming final exams, and told them to do their best for the next school year.

I waved good-bye and said, "See you later!"

And, then, I smiled. Really big. And I didn't stop smiling. There was no sadness, no cracking voice, no teary eyes. Only a big smile. And when I got to my desk in the teachers' room & announced, "I'M FINISHED!" I even let out a happy dance!

I know in a few months I definitely will cry as I say a real goodbye to my dear students. But today, I feel so glad to have completed this school year. My 2nd year students especially tried my patience and teaching techniques this past fall. I love them dearly, really, but I faced some high hurdles teaching this year. Some of them made me a better teacher (I hope), some others made me focus on this day as the goal to reach. I didn't conquer all the disrespectful & frustrating behavior in my classroom, but I did finish. Now and in the future, whether or not 'my kids' can recall what I attempted to teach, I want them to remember how much I cared. It doesn't matter so much to me who had the best or worst score, if their assignment was late or if they refused to speak aloud in class, if they passed their interview test or got accepted to their first-choice college. The biggest thing I strive for is to genuinely care about them.

And so, Homerooms 22, 23, 24, and 11: you drove me a little bonkers this year. Some days I lost my patience with you & I wish I knew better how to handle your behavior. Yes, today I had a huge smile as I waved good bye. But, I do love you. Above learning English from me, I hope you learned that. I believe in you--now, ganbatte!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Sarah. I love it when you post real, daily life things like this so that I get a little glimps of what your life is like half way around the world. I love you, dear sister. Emily

Anonymous said...

You will always have those students/classes that you just smile and wave as they are leaving! That's the way I fee this year!

Love ya! Juliana

Anonymous said...

This was a great post to read today- as I am frustrated teaching my own children- above all I love them. Love you Sarah.
love sister Amanda