First, an admission: I really, really dislike cleaning out the refrigerator. When I had room mates, & found spoiled food in the fridge, I'd (guiltily) just put it back instead of throwing it out. Now that I live alone, that's a lot harder, & frankly, useless since I know I'll be the one to find it when it's even older & grosser :)
Tonight I was digging way back into the cupboard under the kitchen sink. I'm baking English muffin bread & needed a clean dishrag to wash the dishes. I knew I'd bought some awhile back & tossed them under the sink. I spotted a plastic bag & looked inside wondering if the rags were in it. But, eww, no dish rags. Instead, I found a plastic container of some mysterious food.
Embarrassed, confused, and entertained, I bravely peeked inside, but I could only recognize what was possibly once-upon-a-time a chunk of potato. Then I quickly closed it & tried to recall what it was, when & why I put it in the cupboard. Maybe it was soup, curry, or something similar. Probably I panicked one day when company was coming & either needed the space in the fridge, or the food was already old & for whatever reason I just didn't throw it out then (see first paragraph). When I stuck it under there, I'm sure I thought to myself, "I'll just toss it out the next garbage day."
But nope, weeks (months?!) later I find it & what do I do with it? Put it outside on my balcony. Haha, garbage day isn't until Tuesday & I don't want that nasty stuff in my apartment a day longer!
Sunday, March 02, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Sarah, in August, Wendy Jensen told me that when she finds old food in her fridge she always thinks of Grandma. I guess that Grandma told her once that if you have leftovers that you really don't want to eat, just push them to the back of the fridge and when you find them again it will be to late to eat them. :) It sounds like she passed her wisdom on to you too. ;) I love you. Emily
Haha! I wonder if Gram ever stuck food in a cupboard?! ;)
Post a Comment