Sunday, June 15, 2008

The weekend

Hey hey! Today I went back to Terusa rock wall & conquered the "ao ao aka!!" Three friends from church came with me & tried climbing for the first time. We had so much fun, and even though they all said, "Agh! It looks so easy, but it's really difficult!" I think they'll be back! ;) When I was climbing my hardest route, I noticed 7-8 people had stopped along the sidewalk & were cheering me on. When I reached the top & yelled, "Yatta!" (Yay, I did it!) they all clapped & congratulated me :-)
Also, yesterday there was a big earthquake north of where I live, but I didn't feel it at all.

I spent Friday night & all day Saturday in Yokosuka, a city near Tokyo with a US navy base. A dear family friend served there in the 1950s and I wanted to hear his stories & visit the base. So, he sent an email with memories & I printed it & brought it along as I toured the base & snapped a few pictures of things he'd mentioned. It was such a great experience!!
The oldest dry-dock station. Built in 1871.

Caves built by the Japanese, where there are still top-secret (US) offices (hence, the picture was taken from inside the car) ;)

And a 20% grade road coming from the weather station (?)


and finally, the post office...sorry, Aaron, they hadn't seen the tea set ;)

Love you!

2 comments:

Grammie and Papa said...

Thanks Sarah for checking on the tea set, it's been bugging Aaron for years. :0)

Who would have thought the little girl who used to sleep over and create wierd food combinations with her cousin and doing "makeovers", would be using those same talents on the other side of the world!

Love Ya!!
Uncle Fred and Aunt Linda

Bonnie said...

Sarah! I'm getting excited for you to come to Korea! Just a few more weeks! By the way--I'm jealous of all your strawberries. Ours are still a little expensive!