Tuesday, June 30, 2009

June 2009

In June, I traveled to San Francisco for work (rough, I know) to attend the National Conference on Volunteering and Service. Super fun city, but I never really got into "tourist mode" as demonstrated by lack of photos (...limited to a few shots from my annoyingly ritzy hotel that left me wishing I'd booked a bed at the full-of-character-hostel two blocks away...)
Regardless of accommodations, I had a good time.
The highlight of the conference was the Opening Plenary - full of excellent, exciting, and famous people!! First Lady Michelle Obama gave a speech!!! She was joined by California's First Lady Maria Shriver, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger (who said he came "to pump you up"), Jon Bon Jovi, and the very good-looking Matthew McConaughey - it was all SOOO cool!!!
One afternoon I went for a jog down to Fisherman's Wharf & took a scenic route back...ended up on the outskirts of Chinatown, stopped at a market for bananas & strawberries & asked a woman how far it was to the street of my hotel. She answered curtly with her Asian accent, "faw away" Of course it was all up hill too. ;) I knew the cable car ran this street so I finally found a spot to catch it & rode it to my hotel!!! It was better than the movies & so much more fun than I ever thought!!! I hung on to the pole (the car was packed) & held my breath as my body came within a foot of other cars. My stomach dropped when we got to the top of a hill & then began going down the hill!! It was totally like a roller coaster without a seat belt!! :) I LOVED IT!! I smiled the entire ride!

Another favorite was having dinner with Maiko, a friend I met in Japan, who now nannies in Napa Valley. We had a great time speaking a little Japanese, reminiscing, talking about culture shock, and just catching up from the past year. Maiko bravely drove into downtown San Francisco to meet me, and I'm very grateful we got to hang out again!


I arrived home from SF on Thursday, and Saturday, I accomplished a goal from my "do in my lifetime" list. I ran (without walking) a 5k race. LOADS of fun -- I found my rhythm within a couple blocks of the starting line, took my time, and enjoyed weaving in & out of the neighborhood just below where I live. My sister Emily, her husband Raymond, and their 5 kids all came for the weekend. Ray also ran the 5k & I'm proud to say we both met our personal goals! The race inspired everyone & many of us are signed up for another 5k on August 1! :)
Wacky energy before the race starts

Raymond coming around to the finish line!!

Approaching the finish line - it rained from the start gun until just after I finished

Cheers to goal setting!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thing it was the good looking Matthew McConaughey that showed up, 'cuz that ugly looking Matt is, well, ugly and not fun to look at. Congrats on the run - run buddy.

Raymond

Grammie and Papa said...

Cool blog, Sarah. Your trip to SF sounds like a very encouraging time. Just saw Matthew last night on tv and he is quite good looking, isn't he? :) Proud of your 5k run. Love you!!