Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Classes have started




Here I am with an English teacher. She's great! Our first day of school.
I gave a speech during the opening ceremonies...notice the fashionable teal shoes I'm wearing...to protect the gymnasium floor, so they tell me. The other picture is my principal and me laughing right after he tried to adjust the microphone for me & wound up hitting my tooth with it. It was the highlight of the speech!

I just came in from watching jump rope practice. The school’s Sports Festival is September 29 & one of the competitions is a giant jump rope contest where all 40+ students of a homeroom have to simultaneously jump rope with the longest jump rope I’ve ever seen. Very entertaining!

Classes are rolling! I’ve done my self-introduction 15 times. I got to the point where I couldn’t remember what I’d said in each class. My first two classes were a little rough, but after that, things went smoothly & I really enjoyed it. Students were especially interested to learn about my first car (a rusty ’85 VW Cabriolet), how old I was when I got my driver’s license, and if I have a boyfriend. Most classes have about 42 students & some have half that. Thankfully, the weather cooled off today, but before that, the heat & humidity were awful. In small classrooms with 45 hot bodies, no air conditioning, and a nervous new teacher (me), conditions were less than ideal at times. But, the first week is behind us and I’m keeping very busy with lesson plans, teaching, and watching practice for the Sports Festival.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sports Festival! I remember! I taught my students a Jazzercise routine and we performed! It was a hit.

:)

Debbie