Friday, October 06, 2006

Homestay in Osuka








September 16-18 I spent the weekend with a Japanese family in a town near the ocean, a little over an hour from my apartment. They didn't speak much English, but once again, we proved that communication can happen despite a language difference. One of my favorite things was digging clams at the beach. I tasted my first bite of "natto," fermented soy beans that are stinky, sticky, and just plain gross. We practiced Japanese calligraphy, and joined in a festival where elementary and junior high students pull huge carts through the streets while banging on drums and singing. I toured a 200-year-old soy sauce company, participated in a tea ceremony, and learned a traditional Japanese dance. Good times.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Digging clams is fun! I went digging a couple days ago...salty waves...sticky sand...to bring some good ol' eatin' to the table. Calligraphy...fun! Keep having fun Sarah!