Friday, October 06, 2006

Mount Ryugatake



Last weekend I went hiking at Mt Ryugatake which sits beside one of the 5 lakes near Mt Fuji. On our way up the mountain, we could see Fuji-san, but the clouds rolled in and by the time we had lunch at the summit, complete whiteness surrounded us. It rained the entire descent, but I still loved it! Here is a picture of Mt Fuji and a picture of the 4 of us hikers at the top. The woman on the left is a teacher at my school. They are lovely and adventurous people! During the hike, we saw deer tracks, possible wild boar tracks, and a snake (and not your Minnesota gardner snake!). Afterwards we went to an "onsen" (hot springs) that was absolutely wonderful. I am preparing for a two-day trek with a local high school hiking club November 3-4.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The picture of Mt. Fuji is INCREDIBLE! Often times, gray-pastel landscapes drag reality, but this picture grabs attention. The clouds create an atmosphere of “untouchable grace and stillness.” It’s cool.