Thursday, March 01, 2007

February ran away

There's a Japanese saying about how fast the first three months of the year go that translates roughly to: January runs, February runs away, and March leaves.

As I sit at my kitchen table tonight drinking grape juice and eating trail mix, I see my calendar still needs to be flipped to March and I realize February has certainly run away.

The month began with a trip to the northern island, Hokkaido, for a Snow Festival. Next, we had junior high entrance exams at school. On the 8th I celebrated my birthday, and also found out my favorite grandma was not well. She passed away on the 9th. I planned on staying in Japan, but my teachers worked really hard and generously, and through a whirlwind week, I got a plane ticket to Minnesota in time for the funeral. My grandma's service was beautiful, wonderful, and a perfect reflection of her life. She and I always had a special relationship and I am very grateful to have been there to hear people share stories of how her life had touched theirs.

I spent a week relaxing with my family: sharing Japanese food I'd brought for them, eating food I miss while in Japan (turkey sandwiches!), playing with my nephews and niece--just being with my sisters and their kids was refreshing. I decided not to get together with other people because I wanted to devote my short time in Minnesota to my family. I felt a little guilty about this, but now I can see I needed the opportunity to just be. To just be me in a country that speaks my language, understands my non-verbal communication, and doesn't stare at me because I look different from everyone else. After half a year of living alone in a brand new atmosphere with daily challenges, I was ready to be myself in an environment where I feel most comfortable. I needed to just be a sister and an aunt, not a teacher, an English consultant, or a foreigner. I needed to laugh and cry and remember our grandma. I needed to stay up late playing scrabble and sleep on the floor in a row of nephews. I needed to make chocolate chip cookies, read children's books, play uno, listen to my family laugh, ask questions, share memories and dreams. I needed to get caught up on everyone's adventures of the past 6 months, and tell stories of my life in Japan.

From doing all that, I realized how much I've learned during my time away. I feel I can better appreciate my time in Japan now and the invaluable experiences of every day life in a country that doesn't speak my language and stares at me constantly, yet is teaching me and positively molding my life forever.

February apparently has run away, but it did leave me gifts. Gifts of travels, memories, surprises, and realizations. From Hokkaido to Minnesota and everything in between, always, no matter how this life unfolds, I am reminded that His grace is sufficient.
So long, February. Thank you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah, that was beautiful! I loved having you here with us, hearing your stories and sharing ours. I love you dear sister. Emily

Unknown said...

hey sister,
Victoria and I here.kkkkkkkkkkkkkkksaLllkxk (toria(
I loved your post! We miss you lots but can really see that you are in the right place. Have a great week. love you Amanda

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,
How beautifully you shared about your month and what you have learned. A challenge for me to not just look at time that has run away but rather to dwell on the blessings, the little gifts that grace our days. Life is precious. Keep smiling amongst the squid of life!
Love you!
Aunt Linda