Saturday, March 31, 2007

Thai food and drinks

One of my teachers said I'll need an album just for the pictures of food from my travels...it's true. This post is about all the wonderfully delicious food & drinks I had in Thailand! :) Get ready for your mouth to water!!
My first meal in Thailand at a mall food court: tangy beef & vegetables, chicken & peppers, cucumbers (served with everything!) and a cute serving of rice in the shape of a turtle.

Total cost: 50 baht=184 Japanese yen=$1.54 US dollars.


The temperature soared into the 90's and fresh pineapple served in a bag with a big toothpick hit the spot in between the Grand Palace and our boat ride!

Niina's banana chocolate sundae at Swenson's Ice Cream. No country can go wrong with this classic!
After our ice cream, we had to try a Thai "sweet" treat--corn served with butter and sugar! Different from Minnesota sweet corn for sure. Not bad, just different.
After a day of running around Bangkok, we went to an outdoor restaurant atop a fancy hotel for virgin pina coladas, spicy cashews, and a magnificent view of the city.
Lunch at a family-run outdoor cafe near the River Kwai museum. Not really sure what it was...pork perhaps, soup, and of course, rice. Good, but not fantastic.
Dinner at a floating restaurant with a view of the River Kwai bridge and the sunset. Lip-burning, but oh so tasty lime flavored shrimp soup, vegetables, and fish.
Mmmm, this fish...garlic, lime, and basil (?) Incredible!
Another hot afternoon--we cooled off with a sweetened condensed milk, cherry flavored shaved ice bowl of goodness. A few bites uncovered some surprises!! Corn (Thai people put it with lots of sweet things I guess) and cherry-type chunks that reminded me of Dots.

Lunch "esson" style--food from the Northeast part of Thailand. Chicken, salad, and vegetables served with 2 kinds of sauces, sticky rice, and NO silverware!!

Ok, there is a fork on my plate...but I didn't use it! You take some sticky rice from the container in my left hand, put some chicken and/or veggies with it, dip it in a sauce, and put it all in your mouth! Wash down with Pepsi, water, or Thai iced tea. Smile because its taste makes you so happy!

The convenience store "7 Eleven" surprised me by being on every other street corner in Japan...and there it was in Thailand too! Who knew? We stopped for fried sugary, sometimes served with Nutella or bananas, rolled-up and eaten hot, gotta try 'em, crepe-type things. This man's cooking contraption was connected to his bicycle for easy transportation to and from his usual corner on a busy street in Bangkok.

Elephant riding, tiger petting, lots and lots of eating, shopping, and sight-seeing: I was one happy girl in Thailand!! Can't wait to go again! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Sarah,
Im glad that they have Pepsi in Thiland.

Anonymous said...

"There's a rumble in my tummy"
~Pooh


Argh! My stomach screams for such delights. Thai food is by far some of the best food in the galaxy. I'm sure it beats even the best of the Marsian choy-fo. Those Martians have nothing – Thai food is the best.

Audrey said...

OH I am SO taking you with me when I go to Thailand next time, you wonderful travel buddy! I am so happy for your gastronomic and zoological adventures..I want some!