Sunday, April 15, 2007

Engrish

The Japanese language doesn't differentiate between the "r" and "l" sound. They use this in-between sound that's difficult for me to imitate...so my name is pronounced & even occasionally spelled more like "Sala" than "Sarah." Confusing these letters is a pretty comical and common mistake noticed by English-speaking foreigners--the classic "flied lice" on menus really happens! A friend snapped a picture of this "Engrish" on a recent advertisement for a large department store:

3 comments:

Audrey said...

I love it!!

I was reading a fashion magazine recently, and discovered that this season's en vogue color combinations are "green and black," purple and blown," and "pink and glay." :-P

Anonymous said...

Sala,
I love local idiomatic language-interpretation

kgroves57 said...

Hi Sarah;
I haven't checked your blog for awhile (something to do with too much school, way too much work, and not enough time?). I learned about that sound in my linguistics class this semester, because a lot of the Hmong have that same problem. It's called a "retroflex". (Hey, I've gotta show off all that money I'm paying, right?).
Later,
KaTiE