Thursday, April 05, 2007

First day of school

But wait! It's spring, not fall! There aren't any red, orange, or yellow leaves--Cherry blossoms are just blooming.Japan's school calendar runs April to March and today was the first day of school for returning students. Tomorrow the new students will come for orientation, Monday & Tuesday everyone has tests (nothings says "welcome back" better than exams, right?!) and Wednesday we'll start this term's classes. My family has a tradition of taking "first day of school" pictures--usually standing at the front door with our new clothes, backpack, and tennis shoes. But since I'm the teacher now, and I spent my money on a trip to Thailand instead of "back-to-school" things, I have a picture at my desk in last year's clothes :) The opening ceremony to introduce the new teachers

Students who are now 2nd graders! (11th graders in the US)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oohh Sarah! I love your first day of school pictures!! They are just great. I love the one of you at your desk...in last year's clothes...I think the money was well spent! :) The picture of you with the 2nd graders is cute too. I love your blog!! Keep it coming. Love ya! Emily

Anonymous said...

Great Pictures. The first grabs me...from the pastel blossoms and evening-red lamps, to the rippling water and solacing path; in other words, "I like the picture a whole lot."