Sunday, May 20, 2007

Rice paddies

I'm no expert in planting rice, and maybe I have it all wrong here, but I do observe the paddies every day during a majority of my 40-minute commute on bicycle.

It's spring & rice is being planted before the June rainy season begins. Here are a few pictures of the process from my perspective:

Cultivate and prepare the soil


Flood the paddy & stir the mud
Have an adorable grandmother (who has likely been planting rice longer than most of us have been alive) prepare the teeny tiny rice plants that are sold in bulk
Grandfather puts the finishing touches on the field, Grandmother lines up the plants (all the while wondering what the foreigner with the camera is up to now)
Attach the rice plants to the tractor & drive...somehow the individual rice plants are stuck into the ground at just the right time
Sit back and enjoy the setting sun over the freshly planted rice paddy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Testing, testing. one two three.

Just had to make sure the "post a comment" works ;)

peace, sarah

Anonymous said...

Why does this blog make me feel hungry?

Audrey said...

great pics! I always wondered how they plant those things. I always pictured some little oba-chan stooping over and pressing a grain of rice into the flooded mud at 8-inch intervals. (!) I'm so GLAD I'm wrong! :-)