Thursday, May 17, 2007

My fantastically fun day!

I don't think "fantastically" is a real word, but it fits my day so I'm going to use it :)



Today I didn't have to work because on Saturday our school has "open day" where the PTA members and other parents will come and observe classes, listen to a speaker, and I'm not sure what all else. But, I know I have to be there so today's time off made up for working on the weekend.



I woke up at 7am to the daily chimes that announce the day's beginning. It was raining and that made me a little disappointed because I wanted to be outside on my day off. I went back to sleep for another 1/2 hour, then got up and got ready. The rain changed to sprinkles as I biked to the train station.





I had decided to spend the day helping out at my church in Shizuoka. It takes me about 1 1/2 hours to get there by bike, train, and bus. It's worth the effort though; these people are gems. The church is young and small in numbers, but big in heart and dedication. They make me feel welcome and provide me with Christian fellowship that I don't think I ever truly appreciated until I didn't have it my first 5 months living here. The pastor is Swedish, his wife is Japanese. Both speak English, Japanese, and Swedish. There are two young Swedish guys on staff, one who came to Japan last summer, and the other in January.







Today I helped out with the "Mama & kids English" group. Four moms brought their children to sing songs & learn about animals in English. The pastor led the class & he's hilarious at animal sounds, and after every 'snort' of the pig, one 3-year-old girl giggled the cutest giggle of all time. Her joy spread to all of us & soon we all were laughing hysterically with every animal sound. After the 1/2 hour English lesson, everyone hung out for an hour talking and playing.






Then we ate a delicious Japanese lunch prepared by the pastor's wife (on the right) and a friend with her baby.

After a relaxed, laughter-filled lunch, the guys practiced music for an upcoming Gospel night and I delivered advertisements for the Moms' group throughout the neighborhood. The sky had cleared and it was warm and sunny. When the kids get out of school, one of the Swedish guys teaches an English class for elementary age children (he speaks fluent English). I sat in on the lesson and really enjoyed seeing how another class runs (for once I got to be the student instead of the teacher!)




By then, it was 5:00pm and I had to head out to meet some other friends for dinner. The church crowd thanked me profusely and sent me home with my favorite Japanese vegetables and home-made strawberry jam.




I got back to Fujieda (my town) and biked to Denny's. Yup, like the Denny's you know. Well, almost. Forget cheeseburgers or pancakes with sausage. Here, it's squid salad, shaved pork with rice, or Japan's attempt at a burger (think meatloaf with lots of onions). My friend/neighbor/fellow ALT Monica's mom & brother are visiting from Texas. Our friend Fumie & her kids met us at Denny's for a memorable time together. The food tasted good, the company was great, and the semi-familiar surroundings made us all laugh.

I biked home with a smile on my face and a grateful heart. Earlier in the day, as I walked through a store in Shizuoka, I caught myself smiling and thinking, "I love Japan!" Yes, "fantastically fun" is the perfect way to describe today! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You make me smile - I know that this has been the right place for you! I am happy for all that you have learned and all of your growth. I love you lots. friends are so important where ever you are.
Amanda