This morning before Marie & I left for the airport, we stopped at a convenience store for a few last minute items. Right when I walked in, I recognized the cashier as one of my 2nd grade students. I told her it was a surprise to see her & she said, "Shhh!" Students are required to have their school's permission to work a part-time job. Usually, a school only allows it during a holiday time because the rest of the year, the student should be focused on studying, not working. So, now I'm torn on how to handle spotting my student at her "illegal" job. I feel that I need to tell the school, but then the student probably won't trust me. But, if I don't let the school know, and it later comes out that I knew of her job, then the school won't trust me. Marie made the point that my employer's trust is more important than my student's. UGH. That's tough for me to swallow, but I know it's true. It stinks because I really think I can't keep it a secret, but I hate knowing she'll be suspended and punished for this job, and I don't even know the background of why, how long, or how much she works. If language weren't a barrier, this would be loads easier, but so far my plan is to try my hardest to tell the student that she has 2 days to tell the school about her job, and after that, I'll tell them if she hasn't. That way I don't feel like such a "tattle-tale."
If someone out there has advice, I'm open to it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Don't tell.
What the school doesn't know won't hurt them. What you say may hurt your relationship with your students.
The student was working an honest job in a safe environment (not in a bar or a club). Let it be!
Not telling seems like the easy way, but what does it say to my student? Is it honest of me? Does an "honest job in a safe environment" excuse the fact she's still breaking the rules?
Well Sarah,
What a tangled web we weave.....
I would clarify the school policy and find out what my responsiblity as a teacher is. Then present that to the student..."I understand that this is the school policy..... and this is my responsiblity as a teacher......"
That way nothing personal- no breaking a secret- just policy.
Oh wait- that is right you also have the small problem with the translation! Good luck!
Can you guess who this advice came from?? I love you sister- Amanda
Did you already tell the school? If I'd read this earlier, I would have voted for "don't tell." The reason is that you aren't the teacher in charge of student affairs and discipline. I think it's sort of along the lines of seeing a kid chew gum in class, use their keitai in the halls, or walk around with a skirt that we all KNOW is too short. It's obvious they're violating the rules, but it isn't your job to play Police the Students. That's my two cents, though I realize it might be coming too late...I don't envy you! hope it all turned out ok!
Post a Comment