Monday, May 07, 2007

A taste from home?



Tonight I've been trying to pinpoint what treat I am hungry for...finally I decided on rice crispy bars...sweet, crunchy, and from "home." I thought long and seriously about it though because both rice crispies and marshmallows are hard to come by here. Yes, I decided, I craved rice crispy bars. It'd be worth using the last of my imported cereal and a few marshmallows to make a small pan of oh-so-delicious-rice-crispy-bars. I cut a chunk of frozen butter into the pan, tossed in the marshmallows and started stirring before it could scorch on the typically too hot gas burner. As I stirred, something didn't look right. The butter wasn't melting like usual. It looked more like Japanese cheese than butter. Oh no! I grabbed what I thought was the butter container and saw, sure enough, that I'd added "chee-zu" (cheese) instead of "bah-tah" (butter) to my precious rice crispies. As my friend Niina (who lives in Thailand) says, "You know you've been living in ---- too long when you ----" Tonight I realized I've been living in Japan too long because I ate the cheesy mixture anyway! :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats so sad Sarah.

Anonymous said...

that is funny

Audrey said...

hilarious! have you tried using the flavored marshmallows from the dollar store yet??