The students took end-of-term exams today. My first year students suffered through a 3-part listening test from yours truly. They listened over the PA system to a pre-recorded English conversation between a teacher and myself and answered comprehension questions. For Part 2, I said a word and they chose from a list of three which word I'd said. For example, I said, "Circle the word you hear. Number 1: Fast. [pause] Fast." And the students chose from a) first, b) fast, and c) fist. Number 2 was a) dock, b) rock, and c) lock. After I finished correcting the exams, a couple teachers asked me to pronounce this section again for them (they originally heard it along with most of the school over the PA system). They couldn't decide if the correct answers were 'fast' or 'first,' 'rock' or 'lock.' Everyone chuckled quite a bit at my repetition of "Fast"
"First"
"Fast"
"First"
The teachers could hear a slight difference, but their pronunciation of both words sounds like 'fast.' That dang 'r' gets 'em every time! :) The rock/lock comparison went on for a long time and finally ended in loud laughter with the declaration, "Onaji! Onaji!" It's the same! It's the same!
3 comments:
It's the same! It's the same!!
I think about you in Japan each time we talk to Victoria. "Butterfly, butterfly"
"ball, ball"
The boys were very sad when I broke the news that after your visit in Aug - you are returning to Japan. They asked when you are coming home to stay.- you are missed in LaCrescent!!!!
We did make it up to Brainerd for the fireworks. They were great as usual. We got to see Aunt M, Mark, Aunt Linda, Uncle Fred, and all the Eiesland crew, but we missed you. I am glad that you enjoyed your 4th of July celebration. Stay dry. I love you. Emily
Fajitas - good stuff! Well, now I've grown hungry - keep teaching them "Rs"
Post a Comment