Monday, September 10, 2007

I thought the rain would stop

Some days being optimistic & stubborn is good.


Today wasn't one of those days.


I heard the light rain from my futon and thought it wouldn't last long. The forecast said the chance of rain was 75% but it often over-predicts, and I wanted to sleep until the last possible moment. Besides, riding the bus costs me an hour, 10 bucks, and my independence.

So, I got ready and went outside to fetch my bike for the 45-minute commute.

By then the rain was coming down in sheets, accompanied by thunder and lightening, with no signs of letting up. Within 30 seconds, I was drenched, and my usually dependable rain coat completely disappointed me. A few kilometers down the road, I saw my vice-principal drive past and was grateful he didn't splash me with water as many other cars had inadvertently done in Japan's narrow streets. Anytime I felt the smallest amount of anger rising up in me, I reminded myself it wasn't anyone else's fault I was soaked to the skin. I had made the choice to ride my bike instead of taking the bus.

When I arrived at school, I quickly changed my clothes, towel dried my hair, and drank hot green tea.

Even after such a wet ride, I'm still feeling optimistic and stubborn; tomorrow I'll probably ride my bike again, rain or shine!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah! It is fun to have you posting again. I love reading your blog. Dad and Rose are here. They are working on POC for us. So nice of them. I miss you. Maybe we will have soba for dinner tomorrow night. :) I love you. Emily

Anonymous said...

I am laughing right here at my computer- I do feel very funny sitting in my office closet laughing- but your blog just tickled my funny bone tonight. Love you tons you wet goose!
Amanda