Friday, October 05, 2007

Festival with the locals

One neighborhood's shrine
Making a 90' turn (on Main Street)

Tonight I followed the sound of hollering, drums, songs, and chants. It led to a 60+ member group from the neighborhood pulling a huge shrine to celebrate our town's festival that's held once every three years. About 12 neighborhoods each have a shrine & tonight I ran into two of them. There's people on top of the shrines, inside, outside, beside, and behind. The men actually pull them through the narrow streets while others beat drums, dance, and play instruments. There's a leader with a microphone shouting out instructions and encouraging the entourage. I saw both groups perform traditional music and dances.

I ventured out alone tonight, just to see what I could see. And it was well worth it as the locals embraced me with laughter and lots of smiles!


Traditional dance

Shrine from the back

People performing at the front of the shrine

photos of people

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah! That looks like so much fun!! I am so proud of you...going out alone! What fun!! The pictures are great. Much Love, Emily

jess said...

So cool! It's kind of funny, but the new adventures that may be the most challenging for you are the most exciting ones for us to watch and hear about. Way to go on keeping up on the blog. I'm lucky if I get a post up once a month. You inspire me. I should try harder. God bless...

Anonymous said...

My email is still down so I am here telling you I hope you had a nice weekend at your retreat. From your pictures it always looks like you have tons of friends!!! :) Loved your pics of the shrine and dances. Love you too! Amanda

Anonymous said...

If I could only dress like those men...that would be pretty fun.