I haven't blogged this week because every evening I've been working on my 2006 tax return. For a lot of complicated reasons, I have until October 15 to file. Usually I'm independent and confident in my tax-filing abilities, and strangely, almost enjoy the challenge. This year however, I'd prefer the IRS keep my hefty refund and just excuse me from filing. It's been that big of a headache for me.
I gave up trying to file electronically and now I'm praying I can find a printer before Monday (the 15th) so I can print all the necessary forms & get everything packaged to send the old fashioned way across the Pacific.
Outside of my tax dilemma, the week went well & I had 2 really fun encounters-one yesterday on my way home, and one this morning. Yesterday as I crossed the Seto River, I saw my "green scarf" obaasan whom I met over a year ago when she randomly started talking to me on the street. We tend to see each other every few months & every time, she grabs my hands and holds them until we part. Yesterday she actually gave me hug and I think we both smiled through the entire conversation. Sometimes we exchange gifts (she's the one who filled my basket with small oranges and flowering plants last fall). She's precious to me, I don't know her name, her age, her history...nothing really. But I know some days I watch for her as I bike around town and during our occasional interactions her eyes dance when she looks at me and her old, wrinkled hands hold my younger ones with gentle care. She talks to me with such love and sincerity that I can't stop smiling the rest of the day. We only chat a few minutes but I know it's these moments I will cherish forever.
As if that wasn't enough to make my week, this morning the "cucumber fairy" flagged me down on my bike and handed a bag to me. I asked,
"Nan desu ka?" What is it?
"Kyuuri." Cucumbers.
"Chotto matte kudasai." Just a moment, please.
(I started taking an orange out of my bag)
But, she left too quickly with an "Ii yo" It's Ok.
And she biked away, leaving me standing there, surprised and feeling special, with a bag of fresh cucumbers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
God provided you with several moments of warmth in the middle of your cold hard mean bad boy taxes.
I love you Sarah!
Amanda
Sarah, I love this post. It is so you. The parts about the 'green scarf grandma' are beautiful. I am sure those are the moments you will remember forever. How goes the tax battle?? Thinking of you.
Emily
Post a Comment