Thursday, January 31, 2008

M&Ms and gatorade

I'm sure most of you, at least any health conscious person, would disagree with my choice of dinner. But in my family M&Ms are affectionately referred to as "happy pills"-- to be eaten during stressful, unhappy, or horrible times -- and tonight they're doing the trick.

I felt a little 'off' all day, and by 5:00 I admitted I needed to take my temperature. Sure enough, the digital 'put-in-your-armpit' thermometer read 38'C. A couple teachers raced around trying to convert it to fahrenheit for me 'cause I knew I felt a little sick, but not so bad. But they insisted I leave immediately, and refused to let me ride my bike home. Finally, I hopped online & converted the 38'C. Ok, that equals 100.4'F & pushed me into "feel sorry for me & pamper me" mode.

And am I ever grateful for my teachers' kindness, concern, and generosity. About 5 minutes into the trip home, I couldn't keep my throbbing head upright and had to rest it on the head rest. When I got to my apartment, I put my pjs on, dug out some "happy pills," poured myself the Japanese version of gatorade, turned on a movie, and conked out on the couch.

I just took my temperature again & it reads 101.4'F so I'm thinking I'll spend the weekend camped out in my cozy living room, with a possible trip to the clinic to see if the fever is just from a cold, or worse, from the awful influenza currently saturating schools.

For now, it's another sip of drink and one more happy pill...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Sarah! I am so sorry to hear that you are not feeling well again. Get some rest and keep those happy pills flowin'! I will be praying for you. Much love, Emily

Audrey said...

awww I really hope you feel better soon! I know it takes a lot to keep you from riding that bike, so I'm really glad you had some helpful coworkers to take care of you. Get some good rest!