Thursday, January 24, 2008

Quotes from Italy

I graded papers from an 11th grade writing class today & found some pretty interesting and entertaining responses to the questions I'd asked about their recent school trip to Italy.

Here are a few of my favorites:


Homeroom 25 "Culture shock"


When you were in restaurants or food stores, how did you feel about the people there?


“The people ate quiet.”

“I felt nice. Everyone give precedence to the lady.”

“They used a belt conveyor in the supermarket. A shopping basket had tires. It was easy.”

“It sounded like drunken Italian conversation.”



How did you feel when you first got to the airport in Italy?


“My heart is too full of happiness because I longed to go to Europe.”



What was your first impression of the city?

“Everyone always rapid walking.”


Now, how will you treat foreigners in Japan?


“I wish I helped foreigners have a difficulty.”

“I will treat foreigners like Japanese. For example…Nola [foreign exchange student], Miss Sara.”

“They were in trouble when I speak to them."

“I never move to foreigners because I don’t like problem.”

“I want to treat fair attitude to foreigners because I understood foreigner is plain.”

“I don’t try it in Japan. I am not going to treat foreigners in Japan.”


What is most important to make friends with the people there (abroad)?

“Shake hands.”


What is most important when you travel abroad?

“The most important is to be afraid of talking to foreigner.”

How was the hotel?

“Bathroom put me to trouble. But, I visit easy.”

5 comments:

Unknown said...

crack me up!
love you lots
Amanda

The Studers said...

Too funny! It's good to laugh at stuff -- thanks for making my day brighter! Love you!

Bonnie said...

bathroom put me to trouble? sounds a little sketchy to me! :)

Audrey said...

awwww those are awesome! I want to read more! The ones from the supermarket are hilarious - but at first I ahd to stop and think "wait, what? conveyor belt? tires on shopping carts? Oh yeah!" guess we've been in Japan for a while! lol

jess said...

Wow. Classic. I bet you get to read some very interesting papers. My english teacher in HS said that he was struggling through a paper someone had written about "dee ennar" and "gay morden" After seeking the advice of a fellow teacher, they concluded it was about the DNR and Game Wardens. Very nice.