We ate oden (the dad's own recipe),
a really tasty rice dish I can't remember the name of, miso soup, Pizza-la pizza (with mayonnaise & seaweed of course!),
and chocolate cake, with a candle & cookie-card bought specially for me that read: "We love Sharh" ;)
We also played Bingo (with prizes!) & just hung out for hours. I looked at the older girls' "coming of age" photos (in January every year there's a national holiday celebrating everyone who turns 20 that year). We talked about culture, music, language, food, travels...so many things...in a fun mixture of Japanese & English. The evening passed quickly & I didn't leave until nearly 11pm!
Tonight was one of those times I felt really comfortable in this foreign land. I felt like I was just chillin' with my family, with my sisters, with my good friends. I didn't feel like a foreigner, I felt like a regular guest, one who maybe has different color skin & whose mother language is English, but the focus wasn't on our differences of being American & Japanese, but on our similarities as people. And that was refreshing!!
Thanks Otsuka family!
No comments:
Post a Comment