Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Cherry blossom & a dish

I used an hour comp time this afternoon & headed to the onsen (public hot bath).

When I walked into the locker room, there was a young mother & her 4-year old daughter getting dressed. The girl stared at me and said, "Konichiwa" (hello). I reciprocated & smiled and put my things into my assigned locker near theirs. The girl kept watching me and then whispered something in her mother's ear which I assumed was about me, since she was looking and pointing at me ;) The mom replied quietly in Japanese, "I don't know." The girl took a couple steps toward me and again said, "Konichiwa." Her mom, slightly embarrassed, apologised, but I waved and repeated "konichiwa," and added, "I understand a little Japanese." She giggled and asked where I'm from. I asked her name and she gave me her full name all mushed together, so her mom said, "Sakura." Cool, sakura means "cherry blossom" in Japanese. I told her my name is "Sa-ra" and she repeated it a few times with a funny grin. I laughed with her and said, "Yes, like osara" My name sounds like the Japanese word meaning "plate or dish," which makes a fun, easy way for people to remember it. Sakura thought this was hilarious and couldn't stop laughing as she repeated, "sara sara sara!!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah. I love this post. Very sweet. I love you. Can't wait for you to be home.

Love you.
Emily

Anonymous said...

Hi ya. It sounds like you have been busy. It has been HOT here. Don't feel bad about your name.



B.P

Audrey said...

that is so cute!!