From a sleepy (but nearly clean!) farm girl ~
Here are some highlights of my day:
At the farm shed early this morning I wrapped twine from one stick to another (so it can be re-used). The man (Mr Fuji) who assigned me the job squatted down with another Japanese guy (Mr G) & helped us out. Mr Fuji casually asked the other guy in Japanese, "So who is this person working with us?" Mr G gave a short summary saying I'd taught English in Shizuoka & I'm volunteering at the farm for a few days.
Mr Fuji: "Oh, so she understands Japanese?!"
Mr G: "Um, yah"
Mr Fuji (looking at me with an embarrassed expression): "Excuse me I'm sorry..."
We all laughed about it, and later, when I stopped at the office to ask if I could meet with ARI's founder, I asked the first person I saw (a kind looking Japanese woman). She let me babble on, & finally, when I finished she apologized that she doesn't understand English & looked desperately at the man who just walked in - Mr Fuji. Mr Fuji said to her, "Don't worry, her Japanese is good." Haha. He got busted earlier in the day & then busted me!! ;)
============================================
A group of participants left this morning for a 12-day training in another area of Japan & it made me feel so good when 3 of them made distinct efforts to thank me, exchange email addresses, and say good bye. For the first day or two that I was here, I felt lost & out of place, but saying good-bye to the group this morning made me realise I've built relationships quickly & made many good memories. Even though I often still feel like I don't know what to do, I'm more comfortable with not knowing, and I can see things that can be done & jump in to help.
=======================================
Tuesdays & Fridays are "harvest days." This morning for 'food life' work Patrick (from Liberia), Pieter (from Indonesia), and I harvested tomatoes, kankong (a leafy vegetable that people feed to rabbits in Liberia) ;), and wingbeans (new to me - pictures coming!). It was so cool to sit down to lunch & eat stir-fried kankong that Kailey (from Georgia, USA) made. And because of the rainy afternoon, I got to help in the kitchen for dinner and we made a few dishes with the tomatoes I'd harvested before breakfast!
======================================
Before working in the kitchen this afternoon, I stopped by the founder's house & visited with the incredible 82-year old man, his precious wife, their daughter & grandchildren. They appreciated the story I told of my grandfather's connection to Japan & ARI. Even in the papers I brought that my grandma saved since 1965, they recognised a missionary couple's name who worked with them in Tokyo.
=========================================
Tomorrow I'll help with morning chores, eat breakfast, attend the morning gathering, pack up, & head to the airport to go to China. I'll only make a 24 hour stop in Japan again next week, and it's starting to hit me I'm really leaving my home of the past 2 years. I'm going to miss this place. A lot.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I had no idea you would be working at the mission, Sarah. And when we say "working" that's exactly what is meant! Wow. Thanks for giving so much to this place. Cool that they remembered the missionaries. Have a wonderful time in China!!!! Love you.
Post a Comment