Tuesday, August 12, 2008

"Where am I going to sleep?!"

I'm SO happy right now ~ I FINALLY figured out how to use wireless internet on my computer! Still not convinced if this solo traveling is my thing, at least having internet makes me feel less alone ;)

Currently, I'm in Beppu, Kyushu (one of the southern islands). Beppu is known for its hot springs, but I've only soaked 30 minutes so far. I've had less-than-smooth travels since leaving my friend in Shikoku yesterday after lunch, but I'm trying to enjoy the journey amid the missed trains, lost taxis, and my own geography mistakes (when I exited the ferry yesterday I realised I was a couple hours from where I'd expected!)

Last night I arrived in the town where I had a hostel reserved, only to find the taxi company didn't have a clue where the place was. Since I'd made the ferry mistake, I arrived in Beppu about 3 hours after I'd planned ~ so there I was at 10:30pm, in the back seat of a taxi, with a 60-something driver, who amazingly stayed patient even though when he radio'ed for assistance, I understood his Japanese: "It's a foreigner...what should I do?!" :)

Just as I opened my mouth to admit defeat & ask him to bring me to a cheap, safe hotel, he pulled over, got out, & started talking to a man walking by. I couldn't hear the conversation from inside the taxi, but suddenly the driver sat down in the front seat & the man sat down next to me. I mentally shook my head in disbelief & thought with a grin, "Only in Japan."
The local man spoke a little English & directed us to where there were often foreigners & in turn, hopefully my hostel. We drove slowly through the narrow dark streets, all of our eyes peeled for the hostel's name and/or foreigners. Suddenly I spotted it on the left, "Koko desu!" There it is!

We all jumped out, but our relief was short-lived when the people walking in said the reception was closed for the night & I wouldn't be able to get my key. UGH!

The driver & I were talking about a hotel I could sleep at when I spotted a note taped to the side door that read, "Dear Sarah C" I ripped it off, explaining to the 2 men who were sticking with me until I had a safe place to sleep that, "That's me! That's my name! It's all ok now!" The note had the door code, the spot my key was hidden, and the staff's cell number. AH. Then I felt real relief & thanked the driver & stranger profusely. They still weren't convinced I'd be OK, and I heard the driver tell a Korean woman who spoke Japanese & was staying at the hostel, "Take her to her room. I'm worried for her."

After finally crawling into bed, I slept for 9 straight hours & probably would have kept sleeping if the shower wasn't about to close. I think the blur of activities of the last couple months is catching up to me & rather than sight-seeing, I'm viewing these days as a true 'R&R' time.
The ferry I took for 3 hours from Sukumo, Shikoku, to (surprise!) Saiki, Kyushu View from the ferry
My wonderfully air conditioned hostel room (top bunk) where I slept gratefully & soundly

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise God for such a kind and thoughtful taxi driver!! Wow. I am so comforted to know that people are looking out for you. I love you, Sarah.

Love,
Emily

Grammie and Papa said...

Angels in disguise, eh? Dear Lord, Thank you that Sarah doesn't travel alone cause YOU are with her all the time!! Help her have the energy to have joy in the journey as well as joy in arriving at the predetermined destinations!
xxoo

The Studers said...

You are so brave, Sarah! I know I have said it before, but I am in awe of your adventurous spirit and am so glad God is watching over you as you travel!

We love you!

Audrey said...

Oh Sarah!! There is so much to catch up on - I can't believe how much you've gone through since we last talked! Sorry for not being a more faithful blog-checker. I am SO glad for you to be getting some R&R..you and I both kind of had a whirlwind final month or 2! I can't wait to see you again and catch up. I miss you - thanks for putting all those pictures on your blog! You look fabulous of course, and I hope you are having an amazing time in Kyushu! Australia has been treating me quite well - lots of fun wildlife here! :-D

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your travels dear sister. We will be praying for you- as you travel, rest, and sight see. We love you. I am very happy to have you semi back on line.
love,
Amanda