Food/eating
Holding a plate or bowl up to my mouth to eat from - is this rude? I can't remember.
The imported food I treasured & rationed in my "foreign foods" kitchen cupboard now surrounds me (oatmeal, peanut butter, chocolate chips, pudding, cake mixes, taco/chili seasoning, BBQ sauce, pickles, olives, rice crispies, brown sugar)
People in the US don't use tissues for napkins, why not?
People
While driving downtown I thought, "There are so many WHITE people!" ;)
Loud people - talking, laughing
Families here have lots of kids! Most Japanese couples have 1, maybe 2, spotless & silent kids)
Big people!
Around the house
Having a clothes dryer - not having to plan laundry 2-3 days in advance - In Japan, I dried all my clothes on my balcony or in my living room
I often still think about earthquakes, "What would I do if there were one here?" I kept many of the habits I'd developed in Japan for earthquakes - not leaving water near my computer, having an escape plan & backpack with supplies, and noting the strongest structures in a room (table, door frame, etc)
Around town
Blue mail boxes (Japan's are red)
Not having small screens running commercials around the stores advertising that shelf's product (all at the same time, I might add...sometimes the noise in the stores drove me crazy...imagine 5 loud TVs playing simultaneous, but different, advertisements in a small area)
Not being complimented on my 'tall nose' and [non-brown] green eyes
Being able to use a debit/credit card ~ Japan is basically cash-only
Language
Easily understanding TV news/programs
Thinking of the Japanese word before the English or wanting to use the Japanese words that are more convenient than English, ie. mendoukusai, otsukaresama, itadakimasu, gochisousamadeshita, genki, onegaishimasu, k.y.
I started volunteering with Spanish speakers - I can understand what they say, but when I open my mouth, only Japanese comes out!
Understanding 100% of what people say the first time - not having to ask, "Mo ikkai, onegaishimasu" (please repeat it) and becoming impatient when people explain the same thing 3-4 times...I want to tell them, "We speak the same language...I got it the first time!" ;)
Having no one around who understands Japanese
Thinking my family & I should have a 'secret' language that those around us don't understand ie: at the store - "What?! we speak the same language as the clerks!?"
Etc
Driving on the right side of the road - I still bike on the left sideTrying on Size M clothes & having them fit
Thinking I should see Mt Fuji to the north
Not being told to/scolded about protecting my fair skin
Seeing others wear sunglasses - Mostly, only the Japanese mafia wear shades...so people really stared at me when I wore sunglasses! ;)
Having American people tell me stereotypes/interesting things about Japan & realising it had become 'normal' to me, ie: thinking all Asians look the same, eating soup with chopsticks...I honestly wondered, "Yah, of course you can eat soup without a spoon! What's strange about that?"
Body language: As with so many things I didn't get until I lived abroad, even body language is cultural. In Japan, it's rude for women to sit cross-legged on the floor (either seiza - legs folded underneath - or both legs to one side is acceptable).
When sitting in a chair, it's more polite to put your ankles together than to cross your legs, and never, should a women put one ankle up on or under the other knee.
One shouldn't fold their arms, point their feet at anyone, or touch other people (personal space is much bigger than in the US).
On the other hand, actions that are considered rude in the US are perfectly acceptable in Japan. My first desk in the teachers' room faced a sink & mirror. After lunch, teachers (mostly men, but women too) brushed their teeth right there in front of me, often holding conversations with students, other teachers, even with the principal - with a toothbrush & suds filling their mouth.
Talking with a full mouth is fine - no problem!
If your friend or co-worker has seaweed in their front teeth, rice on their mouth, or anything else, just ignore it! Pointing it out would cause un-needed attention & embarrass the person.
Hocking a lugey is just fine too - generally just men though.
Also, after eating, if there's sickness going around, and throughout cold/flu season, if you gargle with water, make a loud nasty sound from the throat, & spit into the kitchenette sink, all the germs will exit your body (that sound makes me gag!)
If your nose is running, just keep sniffing to show self-control ~ wiping it would be way too rude!
To see the other side of this culture shock experience, click here for a list of shockers I had my first month in Japan...
2 comments:
Thank you for writing this - I especially loved what you said about lifting your plate/bowl to your mouth to eat (seriously, what is wrong with that?), being able to eat soup without a spoon (why is this a problem?), and wanting to say Japanese phrases that are so much more communicative than their English equivalents - especially mendokusai and otsukaresama. Once I even used genki as an adjective and was done with my (English) sentence before I even realized I'd done it! Thanks for the chat today - it was awesome!
Hi Sarah! Megan gave me your blog address to check out your ARI experience, and I have enjoyed reading your recent entries as well. Your list made me smile, because I am still in the culture where all of those things are normal! Take care!
Post a Comment