Sunday, November 26, 2006

The colorful "inaka"

Saturday I spent the day with 2 other English teachers in the inaka (the countryside). I took an old-fashioned steam locomotive up north into the mountains to meet the girls (one Australian & one from the US). We visited a tourist town with gorgeous fall colored leaves. At a cute little cafe we grabbed omrice (a rice omelet) for lunch, then browsed the souvenir shops and got macha (green tea) ice cream cones to eat in the rocky Oi riverbed. While driving, we saw a family of monkeys (who knew?) scampering through the woods. Unfortunately none of us snapped a picture, but it was wild indeed!

We bravely crossed a suspension bridge high, high above the river, did some more shopping, and ate dinner at a great hole-in-wall Mexican place that seats 8. [I don't mean 8 per table, I mean there is room for 8 people in the entire restaurant!] We joked how ironic it was for an Australian English teacher to be sitting in Japan learning how to eat Mexican food from 2 USA girls.
From the station where I caught the train, Mt Fuji dazzled me and the locals alike. Here I am crossing the bridge in staged alarm. And a view of a dam and green tea fields. This trip has many more stories (like naked men waving to the train), but I'll save those for another day. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most the time I'm so jealous of you Sarah, but naked men waving to the train...that's so funny. (If you'll look to your right you'll see the mountains, if you look to your left...argh! It hate when that happens, back to the right...)

kgroves57 said...

Look at you and all of your fun adventures! Do you get any sort of a "winter break" at your school? Thanks for keeping us all updated!