Monday, December 11, 2006

Mikan picking and beyond


A teacher kidnapped me for a day and we gallivanted all around our prefecture. Her in-laws have a small mikan (similar to mandarin oranges) orchard in the western part of Shizuoka prefecture where we spent the morning picking mikans. We had a picnic lunch (shown above), and just as it started raining, we packed up and headed to their house. After relaxing for a bit, we drove to the southern most part of our prefecture, Omaezaki Lighthouse.

The wind blew like crazy, but I still enjoyed looking in the tide pools and finding various treasures along the rocky beach (including this driftwood with clam-like creatures on it). We went to a fish market and ate ice cream with tiny fish in it! (This is my teacher & her son enjoying the fishy ice cream). Surprisingly, it was delicious & I think if I offered it to someone without telling them the flavor, they'd never guess it contained fish! The market had a larger than usual assortment of seaweed for sale. I never knew there were so many kinds of seaweed (and all edible at that!) After the coast visit, we went to my teacher's parents' house for a "wrap it yourself" sushi dinner. It was loads of fun & I learned how to make a beautiful (as well as great tasting!) sushi presentation. This picture is my teacher's father and me at the dinner table. Contrary to this picture, he is a fun-loving, adorable man. ;) It was a full and memorable day!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok so I think this is the grossest so far- far worse than the toliet or any other food items you have posted. Fish and icecream should not even be mentioned together! Poor pregnant women are the only ones that could possibly think of that combo.
Just a personal note from Your sister Amanda

Anonymous said...

I disagree with Michael & Amanda LOL :) It sounds so good!