Sunday, January 28, 2007

Heian Shrine

This is a typical New Year's decoration & can be seen on door posts, store fronts, and even car hoods! :)

We were headed to another temple when we decided to take a look at the Heian Shrine & discovered this was the place to be on New Year's Day. It felt like a carnival and reminded me of the Minnesota State Fair (unfortunately without deep fried candy bars) but with a Japanese twist. People wore kimonos, including these adorable kids, and this dog that got a lot of attention!
Looking down the street packed with people sandwiched between food vendors

And looking the other direction--more people, more food

My resolution for 2006 was to not eat pork (last Christmas as I was biting into delicious ham, my sister explained how pigs do not sweat and therefore the toxins are absorbed into their muscles). Well, on January 1, 2007 I bit into my first hot dog in a year...it was tasty all right, but I made the mistake of smothering it in mustard that was a bit spicier than I imagined and right after this picture was taken, my eyes watered, my face turned red, and I desperately dug out my water bottle as the people around wondered, "What's wrong with that foreign girl?!?"
I ate this candy & sugar coated orange to cool my mouth!
It's very popular to write a wish or fortune for the new year and tie it up with thousands of others.
Maybe for 2007 I'll go back to eating pork and adopt this as my resolution for the year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love to eat - so to say "no" to pork would hurt a lot. I do wish I could just fly over have a meal or two (okay...37 meals) - it just sounds so good, and different.
(I'm starting to master chop-sticks!)

to eat pork...sounds like a good resolution to me.