Today marks six months since I arrived in Japan. In some ways, it's gone really quickly and I can barely believe all I've learned, seen, experienced, and accomplished...but in other ways it seems ages ago that I was racing around the United States visiting, packing, planning, and saying good-byes. In the past 6 months there have been times I wanted to go 'home' to Minnesota (OK, twice that I really felt it--after a crash on my bicycle and on Christmas) but overall, I'm incredibly grateful for my 'home' that's developed here. Sure, I have times like today where that one kid won't stop talking to his neighbor while I'm trying to conduct class and I'm about ready to throw him out the window. But I also have moments that are so precious and memorable I can't imagine being anywhere but in my little town riding my bicycle through the streets. Like last week when I ran into the old woman who befriended me last fall but who I hadn't seen in four months. Before I could only appreciate her smile, gentle touch, and attempt to speak a few English words. But this time I followed her slow, simple Japanese explanation of why I hadn't seen her and I was thrilled to be able to contribute to the conversation! After we talked, she filled my bike basket with about 20 small oranges and 3 pretty potted flowering plants. We said, "Ma ta!" (See you again) and went our respective ways. When I got home 20 minutes later I realized I was still smiling from the priceless interaction.
While I don't love all aspects of my life here (lack of insulation for example: currently it's 49' inside my apartment), I love the big picture of it and I know some day this whole experience will feel like a dream. I want to enjoy and cherish the adventures, and so, on the six month anniversary of my arrival,
I signed and submitted the paperwork to stay another year beyond my current contract. Today really marks 6 of 24 months I'll live in Japan. Yeeek! I have a lot to see in the next 18 months! I'm off ;)
Tuesday, January 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow, girl! I can't believe you've already been over there for 6 months. It just doesn't seem like that long. Keep up the good work, and good luck with those chatty kids! Miss you. ~KaTiE
Months seem like days now (really long days that is), but it's cool to see that you are enjoying life and it's "oranges" (those stinkin' way-cool little moments - which are really big moments). Enjoy the real oranges too!
Post a Comment