Tuesday, May 15, 2007

You ate what?!

Awhile back I learned how to ask, "What did you eat for lunch today?" in Japanese. It's a great question to ask teachers who I'd otherwise rarely talk to. Staff members wash their obento containers (lunch boxes) in the school's kitchenette, and waiting to use the sink provides the perfect setting to practice Japanese while building relationships with my co-workers (and everyone's curious about the gaijin's (foreigner's) lunch.) As with any language learning, I've made some funny mistakes...




Like the day my vice-principal returned the question & I proudly informed him I ate a jishin. His confusion and smirk let me know I'd made a mistake. I was trying for carrot (ninjin), but really said 'earthquake.'




Or like today, when I mixed up tamago (egg) with tomodachi (friend).



Gotta watch out for us foreigners, one never knows what we're going to eat next!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am laughing right now! I would keep my eye on you during lunch if I were a co worker.
love
Amanda

Anonymous said...

Sarah, that is too funny! I love the new look! Very fun! I have been reading and not commenting again. I am sorry. Thanks for all the emails. I love you! Emily

Anonymous said...

Sarah, mistakes like that keep things fun!! I ran into Emily today at Macys and she directedd me here!! It is so good to hear that you are having some good times in Japan. I'd love to hear more adventures. Talk to you soon!
Stephanie Meidl