Saturday, November 17, 2007

Senzu's Fall Festival

Fall leaves, good friends, laughter, adventure, rivers, and mountains best describe my day today. I took the train up into the true countryside where an ALT friend lives. Five of us girls spent the day traipsing around a little village's (Senzu) fall festival celebrating the changing leaves. We listened to the high school's taiko drummers (incredible!),and local shamisen players (& dancers!), ate yummy food, drank a new variety of green tea and ate a sweet from the tea experts, talked with the locals who gawked, but welcomed the group of foreigners into their tiny town, made rat decorations from wood (2008 is the Year of the Rat), saw the mountain I conquered last fall on an overnight hiking trip, and finally visited a big dam on the Oi River that runs all the way to my school. It was a full day with loads of fun, cute pictures, and great adventures! I mean, where else do you see a fish head on a stick poking out from a garbage bin??!

3 comments:

Audrey said...

that fish head is too funny!! disgustingly hilarious! Your other pics look like you had a fabulous time - it's beautiful there! I was wondering what animal would represent next year. I'm kinda bummed it's the rat. Last year's boar figurines and stuffed animals were so cute, but I just don't think I could cozy up to a plush rat, no matter how much festive good luck it might bring.

Anonymous said...

Is the fish on a stick a new idea for the MN state fair?? deep fat fried and mmm Good....
I love the rest of the pics and your long hair.
love you
Amanda

sarah :) said...

Haha, Amanda I actually thought of the State Fair too! :)

Think it'd sell?!?