Monday, February 18, 2008

Karuizawa winter retreat

February 9-11 I went to Karuizawa city in Nagano prefecture, home of the 1998 Winter Olympics. I met up with about 40 other Christians in Japan for a couple days of music, chillin', prayer, playing, and sight seeing. It was super encouraging, surrounded by beautiful snowy scenery and fun people!

When I arrived at the station, a beautiful gentle snow was falling, making everything white, clean, and reminding me of Minnesota (except with an active volcano not too far away)
a snowy tree-filled mountain-side at Megumi (grace) Chalet
This cafe served such delicious fresh sandwiches I went 2 days in a row:)
we heart ketchup (I can't remember the last time I ate fries!)
From the roof to the ground, solid ice
Friends I wish lived closer
A group of us went to the Olympic skating area & rented skates for the afternoon. The weather was gorgeous and, believe it or not, I was the most experienced skater in the group of foreigners. For many of them, it was their first time on skates so I snapped a lot of pictures while trying to offer suggestions on how to stay upright ;)
Getting laced up!
First few steps on the ice




boom! Actually this guy smiled the entire day, his frown is obviously staged...even though he fell like 12 times, I never saw him without a smile!

Everyone eventually got the hang of it!


These elementary school kids were my heroes on the rink. I wanted to be just like them. So, i traded in my figure skates for speed skates (my first time ever)...

...I barely got around the rink once, and this picture is right before I totally biffed it!

How do those 8 year-olds make it look so easy??!

2 comments:

Raymond and Emily said...

Sarah, that sounds like a great week end. I can see why it was such a hard decision to come home. What amazing memories you will bring with you. I love you dear sister. Emily

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
the picture of the treed hillside with snow, pretty. Sarah keep having fun...please try not to fall.