Monday, April 14, 2008

The first day of school & a 'fun' run

Yes--today, April 14 was the first of my classes for the 2008-9 school year!! The school year runs April - March so today I greeted my ichinensei (10th graders). Here I am at my desk (with bright what behind me?...it was cloudy all day). If my eyes look puffier than usual, it's 'cause I've woken up from bad dreams & haven't slept well the past few nights :(

Then tonight I decided to go on a little fun walk/run to enjoy the late-season cherry trees along a river near my apartment. But, I made the mistake of going at dusk when bats were flying around catching dinner. I hate bats!!! (and for good reason too, they invaded our basement more than once while I was home alone!!) Probably, the bats tonight were minding their own business, but to this paranoid girl, I swear they were coming right for my head! I changed course & went closer to the trees, but then I ran into spider webs...to defend myself from those hitting my face, I ran with my arms out in front of me, all the while still ducking from swooping bats. Ugh. I'm sure I was even more of a spectacle than usual for any passersby! ;)

One positive of going out at dusk was hearing the frogs singing their spring love songs. They sound exactly like those wooden ones with bumpy backs & when you run a wooden stick down its back, it makes 'music'--precisely the sound I used to fall asleep to in my old apartment. Besides running with arms outstretched & ducking from the bats, I enjoyed the outing & it felt very natsukashii (nostalgic). ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Sarah, Ethan took one look at your picture and said,"Hey, you, Mom!" So that is one more person who thinks we look alike. You look beautiful by the way. ;D I love the story of the run. I guess I don't mind the monotony of the treadmill as much as I though. Although you make the frogs sound really nice. :D

Love ya!
Emily

Anonymous said...

Wow I was at your desk just a couple of weeks ago! way cool
I still have creepy crawlies from your bat/spider story! love you
Amanda