"Froggy!"
Why is she calling me Froggy??! I wondered as I greeted my girls' basketball team for a game at Kita-ko this morning.
I could only stay to watch for 20 minutes or so before going to the train station to begin a day trip with a couple friends. It was a convenient time for a break when I stood up to leave & the captain had the team make a circle around me, bow in unison, and say, "Arigatou gozaimashita!" (Thank you very much!) I smiled when right before they bowed I heard the captain ask her team members, "Japanese is ok, right?" Mio, one of my first year students, said(in English), "Come again please!" And the one who greeted me with "Froggy" said, "See you, Froggy!" Again I wondered what's with the new nickname... Then I heard another say (in Japanese), "She does look like Fergie, doesn't she?" Ah, the light bulb went on! I realized they were calling me 'Fergie' (as in Black Eyed Peas Fergie) not 'Froggy.' I think looking like Fergie is better than looking like a froggy...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
haha, that's funny!
A while back, one of my boy students on the soccer team started greeting me with "Harowee" whenever he saw me. I don't know if it's supposed to be "Haro (Hello)" with a little tail on the end of it, or "Halloween" or what..it still mystifies me.
Post a Comment