Thursday, May 15, 2008

"How do you like my new dress?"

I really should preview dialogues before reading them in front of my class so I don't end up with another embarrassed red face.

On Thursdays, I teach a class for senior students who want to take the national test to apply for university & need to practice specifically for a listening test in English. During class, the Japanese teacher of English (JTE) and I often read textbook scripts & the students answer questions to check for comprehension. My JTE is male, single, and just a few years older than me (don't worry, family, I'm really, REALLY not interested...these details are just to show you why we both blushed in front of our 28 students today.)

The question for the students was, "How does the woman feel after the conversation?"

And the dialogue went something like this (who writes these things, anyway?!):

woman: "How do you like my new dress?"
man: "I like it. You look nice."
woman: "No, really, what do you think?"
man: "It's good. You'd look nice in anything."
woman: "Ugh, you don't care, do you?"

The answer was, "She feels irritated," but the students had a hard time knowing that since I couldn't stop laughing from the awkwardness! ;)

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

hee hee hee! :) ackward! i have those embarassing dialogs too!