Friday, July 25, 2008

School's out!

My final day at school The boy in the middle memorized a sentence for me ("I look forward to seeing you again some day")
Ai-chan, a goofy girl who chats with me every Monday after school to improve her English - we've discovered we're 'bosom buddies' and I expect to see her again!
Really fun drama club girls who gave me Japanese treats wrapped in a banner they'd painted
I finished my job at school & now it's time to travel!

My bags are packed for 4 days in Seoul, Korea. Then I'll spend 10 days in Fujieda (my Japanese 'hometown'), then travel around Japan for a week, spend August 20-29 in China, make a 24 hour stop in Japan, and FINALLY, depart Tokyo on August 30 at 3:30pm, arriving in Minnesota August 30 at 12:30pm. (crazy time zones...I'll arrive before I depart...hum...)

It's been go-go-go for a month or more & I can't believe my time in Japan is truly coming to an end. I feel a tremendous mixture of emotions & cannot begin to describe it all...

Photos from the past week:

Students surprised me with farewell music, artwork, and presents all week!

Monday I woke up & knew something was different. After only a second I realized the NOISE. During the night, thousands of cicadas had hatched & they were buzzing loudly from the trees outside my bedroom window. Here's one of literally hundreds of carcasses a friend & I found in the bushes Monday.

Farewell party with teachers Great students!
At a teacher's house for a delicious dinner of sushi, pasta, potatoes, salad, ice cream, melon...fireworks, and loads of laughter with her 3 adorable kids who video taped me reading aloud because they loved the sound of 'natural' English!
Decorating 'pirikura' in a photo booth with friends
playing some sort of volleyball with a yoga ball
Feeding a bird that randomly landed on my shoulder at a bird exhibit

Lunches out with teachers

There's so much more that was packed into the past week - but I've got to get some beauty sleep before leaving for Seoul! More photos when I return!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarah, I have so enjoyed reading and following your adventure for these two years. I can't believe the time has come that you will almost be coming back home. Good luck in your adventures and thanks for letting us check in our your life for these past two years.

Nancy from Americorps